I have built a tool that lets me see what is on television that I would like to watch. I built it using XMLTV, MySQL and Perl.
Here is basically how it works:
- mycrontab.txt - entry in my crontab that updates my data nightly.
- getlist - shell script called by the above crontab entry to update the data (fetch data using XMLTV, then calls y.pl to update the MySQL database)
- y.pl - perl script that reads the XMLTV generated XML file and updates the MySQL database
- TVListingsTables.sql - SQL needed to generate all of the tables that I use in my MySQL database
- mytvlistings - perl script that reads the data from the MySQL database and presents the results on screen
- myhomeplugins.pl - wrapper for mytvlistings (mytvlistings is one part of my personal portal - more information may come later)